Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Clock Special

I still find the face of a good old fashioned clock inviting. I know I'm dating myself, but how does a digital time piece compare to the face of a clock? Digital shows you numbers, not space, not relevancy, not a face.


Look at the face of a clock. What do you see? I see that a second, a minute, an hour, a day has passed without thinking twice. I look at the digital time and see numbers only. You don't see a face and the 10:00 and 2:00 and 6:00 positions. If someone said to you, "Look in the direction of the 2:00 position." Digital people, I think, would be lost. I would focus to the right but not too far down to the right! I will not be lost.


I have digitals all over the house depending on what electrical time pieces I have, but when in my comfort zone, which is in my favorite chair before bed or at my computer, pondering my next blog bit, I have a clock with a face--my resource, my friend.


I had a regular clock on school desk when I taught. Not too many students asked me about it because, really, they admitted they didn't know how to read it or tell time by it. I gave clocks to two of my sons for Christmas. Did they need one? I don't know, but I will see it when I visit and, hopefully, my grandchildren will know that friendly face of a clock and wonder about it. Will they feel as I do? How long will the face of a clock last?


I will always need that face to give me comfort--to know where I am in my day--not just a number.

9 comments:

  1. Your post reminds me of a chiming clock my parents have. Somehow that sound always made me feel like I was home. Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, the chimers!! Cuckoos have their own personality, too. Yes, clocks have personality!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a thing for clocks too! My parents had a wall sized pendulum clock when I was young and I loved falling asleep to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed-and don't forget the "heartbeat" they have-you can drift off listening to the "tick-tock" of a lot of them... Boring digitals don't make sound!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the post. One of our family treasures is my husband's grandfather's clock. My husband use to run in to listen to the chime. MHG:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for commenting. Now I know what Ruth A. means when she says it's inspirational to get comments! I now need to expand my piece and who knows where it will end!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading this. My favorite line was "Digital shows you number, not space, not relevancy, not a face." Nice!
    I cannot wait to read more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your ending line really sticks with me. And your right, even the numbers on a clock face look friendlier than the numbers on a digital clock.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tam - I love this blog. Guess that's why I have four antique clocks with faces in the house. Jen says they're too loud, but I find them comforting.

    ReplyDelete