Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Roget Reigns Again




Roget's International Thesaurus, 3rd Edition, 1962




This book is an old friend, and it has regained its place in my life. I've had this book since high school when I used it to write my English compositions, school newspaper stories (The Norse Wind), and yearbook copy (The Emersonian). After high school, it took a back seat to other books in college. Then I taught a few years, married, had children, received my Masters in Education, went back to the work force, and finally taught again until retirement. I may have used this thesaurus now and then, but nothing like I have used it this month for SOLSC.


Since blogging, this book has been by my side just like in high school when I discovered the love of writing, thanks to my sophomore English teacher, Mr. John Hancock. (Yes, that is his name.) I spent hours making sure everything I wrote was exactly what I wanted to convey. I am tickled to have the same love surface again like an old friend.


I have that time again to savor my writing, and at the same time, share it with other authors who have been bitten by the Blogging Bug!!


7 comments:

  1. I still have my high school copy of Roget...and I still use it: my writing lucky charm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you trace the book's journey with you and the role it has played at various times. I have a nice edition of Webster's New World College Dictionary that sits on my desk at home. I use it frequently. Lately, I've found myself wanting for a good thesaurus, but have yet to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I remember you talking about your beloved thesaurus and am so glad you sliced about it. I can tell it is a comforting companion as you take up regular writing. I can imagine it by your side as you write in your way cool notebook. Will you slice about that too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always great to rekindle an old passion. I felt that way after reading for pleasure again after losing balance while reading so much to keep up with college coursework in my undergrad years that I virtually stopped reading for pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tam, I believe you will continue slicing and blogging. You have inspired me to use the thesaurus more often. Love the comment 'savor my writing'. :)MaryHelen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same way about Elements of Style. I still have my copy from college and although I don't refer to it that often I like knowing it's around

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't find my thesaurus - it's been driving me nuts! I use the one on the computer but I'd love to have it cracked open next to me - along side of my ancient Webster's.

    ReplyDelete