Thursday, March 10, 2011

Hello, Yellow!!!






Color is pretty important to me. I love lots of color in my life. I didn't realize how much I loved color until I painted my kitchen a clay, flower pot shade (a Martha Stewart brand color, my husband Steve pointed out) and then started buying a lot of yellows, greens, and blues to go with my kitchen. My bathroom is yellow, and I like orange and lime green to dress it up. The computer room is yellow where I blog--really bright and cheery. My cars are always red. I like red coats and shoes, too, even though I don't wear red shoes!!!! I love Dorothy's red, ruby slippers!! I have wanted to write about colors per se, but the ideas just wouldn't come together.

(Get to the point!!!!!)

Well, yesterday, I was determined to buy a new purse because the one I have is just too small. I run around a lot and need to pack my purse just in case........... Besides the size of a purse, color is important, too. Did you ever think how many times color guides our lives? (Do you see how my mind wanders?)

I saw black purses, beige, blue, red, white, multi-colored, and one yellow purse. A yellow purse!!! Yellow is my favorite color, but a yellow purse??? I love red purses. I love light green and light brown purses, but I never really considered a yellow purse or saw a yellow one I liked! I passed by this purse many times before I stopped to take a look.

It did look like the right size and was, oh, so soft. Okay, I'll open it up and search inside. It had a multi-colored umbrella with it!!! What a deal! But that umbrella was speaking to me, too, "Take a chance on this yellow purse!" (How many male readers have I lost by now?)

The purse had a beautiful yellow color, but for a purse to be yellow? I admit it sure didn't go with my red winter coat. It will be spring soon, right? I can see me now wearing my white, tan, and black capris with all my colorful tops, swinging a yellow purse by my side. But a very bright yellow purse??? (This is a lot of time to spend on color, you know!)

I bought it!

It was the only yellow purse in the large Ft. Wayne Kohl's store. It was my favorite color. It was the right size with plenty of pockets. I took it home and slept on it--not actually on it, but sleep is good when making an important decision as to keeping something or taking it back.

Yes, it's a keeper. Now I can hardly wait to see what reactions I get when I carry my large, yellow purse. If I don't get any reactions, I'll be disappointed.

12 comments:

  1. You have created a very engaging piece, I love the parentheses comments (I am prone to do that too). I too, love color. My closet is a riot of color, my husband's shades of gray and tan. I too, have a yellow purse, in fact I have had two yellow purses. Color is good, your slice is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture. Your voice was springy yellow, beautiful. I liked your side comments as well. I hadn't really thought about writing about color although I notice the earth tone colors in books (one attribute of a boy read). Very upbeat slice. :)MaryHelen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new purse! And it's not THAT bright of a yellow. Reminds me of a soft yellow Easter egg - you should be able to carry it for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love color too. I make bright quilts.I have long since stopped carrying a purse. My back began to ache on the purse side and I was told to stop toting all my worldly belongings around with me. So my (red) car has in it all things the purse used to have, and my pants must have big enough pockets for a wallet, cell phone and car keys. Even my husband's (gray) car as my needs stored it in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh darling, your self banter is exquisite and highly engaging. I loved this piece! The minute you began speaking about the influence of color my head was bobbing up and down in agreement. Color dictates so very much in my life it's slightly pathetic when I think about it, but if we didn't have something to look forward to (that perfect yellow purse!) then what is the point of color in the first place!? Enjoy the purse (you got me thinking I need a new one too!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your purse! I know exactly what you mean--about the importance of colors for certain things and also the importance of picking just the right purse. This one is a keeper, and so is the yellow. Remember--my entire main level is yellow! Hmmm...maybe I'll have to slice about that. Or about how despite the fact that I do love color, much of my winter clothing seems to be assorted shades of gray. Of course I often try to put a little color with it, but don't alway succeed. :) Thanks for getting my mind wondering (wandering?) about color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not a fan of yellow, but I do have to say that is an amazing purse. The umbrella's an added bonus. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so much a slice of some of our lives, isn't it? I know my husband wonders when I say I want to go purse shopping. And I don't mean looking at the top of the closet. Your purse looks great, & soft! I loved the way you wrote about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that my mom is reading your blog on a regular basis! (fran)
    This is a great post - you built up such a palette of sights around me and then brought in the vision of "the purse" - of course you had to have it. (I'm partial to yellow too.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Color yes! Go yellow! I used to be much more about color in my dress. Now I'm more understated---basic black but I can't keep away from red...blue...green... I need color too
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you kept that excellent purse! Love yellow, love big bags, love that particular bag. Great choice (and there's no such thing as too much time spent on color)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't post the other day but have to tell you that your yellow purse has haunted me! At the mall on Saturday I migrated to the yellow purse and today
    at the hospital's gift shop! I may need a yellow purse but I have to be sure it's not just because of your great post.

    ReplyDelete