Tuesday, March 22, 2011

New York 1956

















I was getting ready to host my book club this month when I decided to bring down my mom's old collection of tea cups and saucers. She gave them to me when I started teaching because she said that I could get together with my teacher friends and have tea. At the time, tea was not on the menu for the teachers I knew, and I always laughed about that fact.

As I took the best tea cups and saucers down, I noticed my mom's name Lillian written on one cup along with the words "New York 1956." I knew my mom hadn't gone to New York City, but I had with my Auntie Mary and cousin Sharon.

The tea cup and saucer brought back a fond memory. I remember Radio City Music Hall where we saw "The King and I," the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, the automats (Put in a quarter and get a sandwich of your choice--back then even!!), Central Park, and coffee and donuts in the morning in the Taft Hotel!! Yes, it was my first experience of drinking coffee, and I have loved coffee ever since, and I was only nine at the time!

So, not only did I recall a good memory but used my mom's tea cups and saucers with a group of teachers for the first time! I also used my mom's personal New York souvenir tea cup and saucer knowing she would be proud--finally!!

5 comments:

  1. How cool--the cups are really unique and I'm glad you used them. Isn't it funny that they've been waiting there for so long?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I wish I had used the cups. Maybe I'll get another chance. I drank water. I loved your piece. Thanks for sharing! Thanks again for your comments! You make me feel special! Happy slicing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a fun post...I love tea cups and Mary Engelbreit who also loves tea cups and teapots! The cups/saucers are beautiful. Just curious...what book did you guys read? I need to come up with one in a couple of months and I am having a hard time deciding which one to pick. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wished I had a cup of hot tea instead of iced tea. They were beautiful cups. I think we should begin a tradition at book club now! Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those tea cups are awesome! The writing is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete