Sunday, March 10, 2013

A Bit of History-Part I

When did I begin to write?
Why do I write?

Trying to remember when I actually started to really write, I can't really come up with anything at an early age.  I do remember playing "newspaper"  on the enclosed side porch of the apartment building when about 7 or 8.  I had a set of  plastic, alphabet stamps and printed a newspaper with information about what, I don't remember.  But I do remember the newspaper. 

I don't remember writing really being done/encouraged in my early years or even in middle school.  I did love the ink wells and fountain pens one year.  It might have been 4th grade--the old wooden desk with wrought iron legs that connected table with bench.  I only remember using that pen and ink one year.  

Side note:  I think I shared this little story about my husband last year in a post.  Steve use to dip his pen in the ink well and put it under a strand of hair of the girl sitting in front of him.  "It really soaked up a lot of the ink!" was his comment.  Boys!










Not until I was a sophomore in high school (1962-'63) when my English teacher, Mr. John Hancock (Yes, that is his real name!), tricked me into being on the newspaper staff.  That's another story.  We also had a lot of writing assignments in his class.  Basically, he brought me out of my shell of shyness.  I had to interview people and write a story about what I learned.  I experienced, for the first time, being in a community of writers.  Loved, loved, loved the company! 

Next I joined the yearbook staff.  Then I became co-editor (along with Alice Dear) of the school yearbook my senior year.  I was hooked!   Never did I have so much fun and become truly creative in my writing. 

I went on to become an English teacher in 1969--Franklin Junior High, Ft. Wayne, IN, 7th grade.

Writing took a long hiatus from that time in high school until much later.

These were the early years.
 


8 comments:

  1. At least you discovered you loved writing early. It's a journey that so many never take. I'm glad I've found the fun in it now. I do not remember any writing that was enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine you have a lot of interesting stories to write. I am curious about the one where your husband put the strand of hair in ink. I am a retired teacher/counselor and am glad I joined this challenge as I am reading a lot of interesting blogs. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great peek into your early life as a writer! I'm so glad you included pictures and little asides. This is so interesting to read the way you've crafted it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it took me a lot longer - until last March - and let's say I was well past high school@

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the picture you created of yourself as a child with your "newspaper". I can just imagine you out there, so serious, making your witty little comments... Made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun bit of history. Creating a newspaper as a little girl - wow. You wove in humor with the reflection making me smile imagining a younger you. What's fun is that you are so young now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You wove humor into your reflection. Your younger self had connections with your older self. Now, your youthfulness sings true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad writing is a part of your life. It's fun learning of your younger years of writing.

    ReplyDelete